Group Admins

• Profile picture of Jones Franzel

Audio Exchange Project

Public Group active 1 year, 8 months ago ago

Take one part audio works in progress. Mix with feedback and support. Upload to PRX. The Audio Exchange Project is your recipe for creating delicious radio for broadcast, one blog post at a time.

Radio Rookies Short Wave (14 posts)

• Profile picture of Melissa Robbins Melissa Robbins said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Here at Radio Rookies, we’re used to working intensively on long-form documentaries. But this year, we decided to shake it up a bit and see what we could turn out in a shorter time frame (8 weeks) with a larger group of youth producers, in collaboration with the High School for Global Citizenship in Brooklyn, NY. The stories didn’t air but will debut on wnyc.org in the coming weeks.

We’d love to hear your feedback on story topic, production…whatever.

Thanks much!
    Melissa

• Profile picture of Alejandra Alejandra said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I enjoy both Krystle’s “Loss” and Xavier’s “Teen Sex” piece. I can relate to both of them and think they are so true. I like the way in Xavier’s piece you have music in the begining, it sets the mood in this piece. I like the music fades. I don’t think you need the part when you say what your friend thinks about BET, because you were talking about the media and with the songs you previously played, we get the point, and we don’t need his explanation of what he thinks BET stands for. Overall that piece was a good piece, i understood it, and could also relate to it.
    In Krystle’s “Loss” piece it had a sad mood. I like your fades. I like the way you read the story. When you said “I listen to alot of country music” you should’ve lowered the song a little bit more. Over all it was a good piece.

• Profile picture of Berenice Garcia Berenice Garcia said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I really liked the topic and the fact that it is universal because anyone can relate to losing someone they love. Your choice of sounds were very clever. Except, the first time your mom talks you should just pause between her talking and then you starting again just a bit. Also at the end the music with the lyrics of, “God knows how I miss you” fades out a little too quickly and you start talking right away. The music itself is a very good choice though, Good job!

• Profile picture of Davis Garcia Davis Garcia said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I just listened to the Chicken piece by Amanda. At first I thought this piece was pretty random and weird. I mean it’s one of those topics in which people don’t take it really seriously. I’ve heard several jokes dealing with chicken. One thing I notice is that chiken is consumed by everybody. It’s a worldwide thing. I really love the read of this piece. I was able to understand everything. The topic of chiken really creates an effect of how we are and our customs. Really great piece I could relate to it. I mean , i eat chiken at least two or three times a week

• Profile picture of Sylhery Padilla Sylhery Padilla said 6 years, 4 months ago:

well i really enjoyed your “loss” piece the content was great and i really enjoyed how you delivered to the audience. I have a few suggestions. Your tone is nice but i would like it if you slowed down a bit. i personally think it was a good idea that you were able to have different sounds and people in your piece, but at times felt that they just “popped” out of no where. Maybe consider fading up a bit slower on your music and people you bring in. Another thing i really liked was that you were able to have your mom talk in this peice, i felt a connection with you. Your volume was good as well, and like i said before, i really enjoyed listening to it. GOOD JOB!

• Profile picture of Rene Ramirez Rene Ramirez said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I just listened to the chicken piece. I found it to be very interesting and hilarious at the same time. Although at times the words were mumbled, I thought it was a great piece. I think it’s a unique and interesting topic that is covered pretty good. I think maybe there should be more interviews to improve the piece.

• Profile picture of jasmine g jasmine g said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I really enjoyed the piece “TeensSex” becuase the topic and what xavier was saying was really true. Young people of our genoration dont think much about sex and having boyfriends and girlfriends when in reality most teens are haveing sex to young and dont understand the conciquences. I think at thirteen you are to young to date the young lady that had a daughter should reconcider if she would let her date that young becuse she wouldnt want her daughter to have a child so young…..This piece really was good it made me think hard about what I think about teen sex.

• Profile picture of *~*Mandi*~* *~*Mandi*~* said 6 years, 4 months ago:

the teen sex piece was very insightful. I enjoyed listening to it. I really liked the choice of music, familiar, yet productive. The issues he itroduces are preent in every teens life. Sex is definately a huge part of our culture. Every one at one point is going to do it, it’s just a matter of wheter they do it the smart way.

In krystle’s piece about death, I like the story line, but her read is a bit flat. She stumbles over some of her words and sounds scripted. I like the imagery, I could see her looking over at the caskets pieces, and the showroom. I really like this piece, just fix a few things and it would be great!

In Amana’s piece about chicken, I like how she tries to bring comedy into her protest of the stereotype. THis piece is very interesting. I can just picture her walking up the street abd seeing the chicken shops all over the place. I don’t think sh eneeds t add in the fact that along with the chicken places, there are chinese places too. That is not an important supporting dteail fir this piece. other thanh tat really enjoyed hearing her prostest against chicken and its stereotypes.

• Profile picture of ×--Frankcarlo ×–Frankcarlo said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Hey well I just listened to Teens and Sex and it’s a great piece. The subject is interesting and catches a listeners attention almost instantly. I love that you used Family Guys theme song because it is truly describing all things you are trying to get across. At times I do find some of the information given between you and your interviewees repeative, so you might want to delete some. It’s very good and I feel many of us can relate to it. Love the music choice and the sequence your piece is in. It all serves to explain your ending in how we are living in a cycle. Overall great, keep ‘em coming! =]

• Profile picture of Virginia B Virginia B said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I really like the chicken piece. I think that it goes into deeper thoughts about Chicken but then at the end says that it’s just food. It’s interesting to see how race can be a factor in a thing like eating Chicken but it’s nice that finally the author just see it as another food. I enjoyed it and I think it was a really good topic.

• Profile picture of Abdel Mutan Abdel Mutan said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Well i listened to both pieces to the Teen Sex piece and the Loss Piece; they are both interesting and teen-related topics which we can all connect to. The Teen Sex piece needs more variety and different experiences and thoughts from other teens,,,other than the producers’. But the choice of music and different mixes of music enhance the piece you just need a mix of other teen’s thoughts. The Loss piece is very interesting and intense because it makes you feel like your at the funeral home with her and you did a great job girl if you made me feel and visualize everything you saw and probably felt. The sounds and voices of the funeral and the director make the peice more realistic and help set the mood and tone of your piece. I enjoyed both pieces and think they are both amazing with a couple of fixes they should go from B plus to an A plus plus…Thumbs up guys great job on your pieces…good luck on your next assignment. Take Care

• Profile picture of thaoto329 thaoto329 said 6 years, 4 months ago:

The chicken one was a really fun listen, even thought at the beginning and some other parts the volume was too high. It kept humorous throughout the whole thing, even when Amana was starting to doubt herself. I think this is the example teen story where a teenager will go out and try to find themselves.

For Loss, I really loved the transitions from one voice to another. The lack of background noise really emphasized the subject and kept it serious. It made it sound very personal with only voices and one sad song.

I liked TeenSex, it showed a lot of maturity in the piece even thought it was made by a teenager like myself. It showed a different kind of teenage boy that people don’t usually see, even though he sort of sounded like an old man. The music was fun and and the narrative was easy to understand. A lot of kids can really relate to this because we all know how parents want to control our lives.

• Profile picture of Matthias Matthias said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I thought it was a well pieced piece and smoothly flowing. I liked the level of curiosity and the hunger to receive the vital info for making the piece hot! I like how she used the Dave Chapelle clip in contributing more to the piece through an outlet of media that is well know to most… I really love the fact that it was over the topic: CHICKEN. I have to admit that I absolutely love chicken.

• Profile picture of Matthias Matthias said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I liked the Teen Sex piece because of the common topic and how the girl in the piece explained/ went through the steps of what she would do in the situation of some guy tryin’ to ‘bag’.