Group Admins

• Profile picture of Jones Franzel

Audio Exchange Project

Public Group active 1 year, 8 months ago ago

Take one part audio works in progress. Mix with feedback and support. Upload to PRX. The Audio Exchange Project is your recipe for creating delicious radio for broadcast, one blog post at a time.

science radio advice (2 posts)

• Profile picture of Osama Ahmed Osama Ahmed said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Hi folks,

I’m new to all of this but I guess this might be a good place to start.
    So back in late October, I started a free science podcast. In each episode I have a 10 minute chat with a prominent scientist about one question that their lab research hopes to answer. The show is geared towards high school and college students with the hope that they’d become interested and want to dig in a little deeper. 
    All episodes are on http://www.CarryTheOneRadio.com and I’m in the process of editing most of them before I upload them all to PRX (currently only 2 interviews are on PRX). 
    But before I do that, any advice you have would be greatly appreciated… I’ve never produced before and I’m glad I found a place where I can ask for help.
    all the best!
    Sama
  • Profile picture of Jones Franzel Jones Franzel said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Sama,

Thanks for writing! This is a great question and there are tons of resources for you on PRX, on the web and in this community. Is there a particular kind of advice you’re seeking? For example, if you’d like to know about polishing your production, take a look at the “For Teachers” tab and check out the Guide to Peer feedback. Although you’re giving advice to yourself (and not your peers), it contains some helpful guidelines for getting audio to the final stages.

Next, check out PRX Pointers – http://www.prx.org/help/prx-pointers – to get help on how to upload your piece to PRX most successfully (the more polished your piece page, the greater the chances the work will get licensed).

Finally, I’d definitely reach out to some of the other producers who are doing science-focused work. In particular, check out the folks at MIT-based Terrascope Radio; they’re combining youth radio and science in whole new ways.

Best of luck!

Jones